Protecting Your Dog From Holiday Dangers

Protecting Your Dog From Holiday Dangers

It’s not uncommon for us to want to share a wonderful holiday meal with our dog. After all, we want them to enjoy the season just like we do, right? The problem is that a meal high in fat content can cause pancreatitis in dogs. This is especially true with obese dogs. An example of such a meal would include such food items as the traditional holiday ham or gravy.

The symptoms may not be apparent and therefore the condition may go unnoticed. In fact, some dogs have died of pancreatitis without showing signs of the problem. Just to be on the safe side it is wise to avoid being overly generous with your holiday meals. Keep the fatty table scraps for compost and let your dog eat his regular food. And please remember that turkey bones should never be given to a dog because they splinter – which means they can cause serious problems for your dog.

Many of the desserts and treats we indulge in at holiday time not only contain too many calories for our pets (and us!), but in some cases, they are very dangerous for our pets. A good example of this is chocolate. Chocolate has been known to cause everything from vomiting to coma and even death. Raisins can also be detrimental to dogs. This can include even a few raisins so dogs should not eat treats that contain raisins.

Many of the decorative items used at Christmas time are dangerous to dogs. Snow globes are one example. Although the newer globes are usually filled with a safe liquid, many of the older ones are said to be filled with a poisonous fluid. Since it is almost impossible to be sure if your snow globe is safe or not, it is wise to insure that it is in a safe location.

The Poinsettia plant can make a dog very ill if eaten. Although the illness is usually short-lived, it is very uncomfortable. Mistletoe and Holly can cause more serious problems.

When it comes to Christmas and decorating we leave no stone unturned. We hang wreaths on the doors and put trees up in our homes. We then drape sparkling tinsel over our lovely tree, which of course, is another hazard to our little pets. In addition to the tinsel we light our tree up which means we have electrical cords attached to it. Once again, this can be another dangerous item for a dog.

If we are using a live tree we may add chemicals to the water in the tree stand to extend the life of the tree. If our dog drinks that water he could become very ill.

As we enjoy the holidays many of us relax with alcohol or even recreational drugs. A word of caution: some dogs like the taste of alcohol, but for safety reasons, dogs should never be allowed to consume alcohol. Dogs seem to be very susceptible to marijuana. The effects can last for up to two days and they can be severe.

During the holidays and all other times, insure that your home is safe for your pet. Don’t allow him to be around things that pose a threat to him. Remember, your dog’s safety is your responsibility, he depends on you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *